I am thrilled to be presenting a workshop at the upcoming conference on degrowth in Malmö, Sweden. Provisionally titled ‘Visualising our Values’ the session will explore the role visual imagery plays in creating and reinforcing cultural & economic “norms and explore ideas for how the degrowth movement can utilise it to create emotionally resonant communication around new values.
For degrowth to succeed it must do more than win the intellectual arguments and convince policy makers. While both are important, as many in the movement have already noted we need to find narratives and strategies capable of breaking into broader sections of society and shifting cultural values and norms. We must learn from the mistakes of of climate change communications and decades of social justice campaigning that have fallen short of igniting true cultural shifts.
A key part of shifting cultural values means helping people envision new possibilities. Photography and visual communication are critical components in creating a new social imaginary. They have enormous potential to reopen space for human creativity and reach a broader audience with values of a degrowth economy. Proponents of the current economic order well understand imagery’s power to construct social values, advertising being a prime example. For the degrowth movement a key part of success will be how well we tap into the power of visual communication to create new spaces for human imagination.
For anyone interested in degrowth I strongly encourage you to consider attending the conference. If you know you won’t be able to attend but would be interested in hearing more about my workshop please get in touch.
The Night Circus Portrait Series is officially off and running! In November I was lucky enough to work with a fantastic team who all helped bring Poppet to life.
As the Murray twins are never separated for long casting is now open for an actor or model interested in portraying Poppet’s twin brother Widget.
Winston Aidan Murray, known to all as Widget, was born on the grand opening of the Night Circus exactly six minutes before midnight; the passing of an old day. While his twin can see the future Widget can read people’s pasts.
He wears a black suit made from all manner of fabrics complete with a black hat and gloves. When not performing Widget tells stories and indulges his fondness for circus treats like cocoa, sugar mice and delicious cinnamon things.
- playing age of 15-19
- natural ginger hair
- ideally blue eyes but not a deal breaker
- Actor or model will receive digital photographs for time
- Selected actor or model will need to sign a model release form prior to the shoot
- Shoots are based in Edinburgh but can compensate for travel costs depending on location
- It is not necessary to have read the book but is definitely a bonus!
- Shoot dates will be largely dependent on individual schedules and in some cases seasonality
Ready to Runaway and Join the Circus?
- Send a photograph or link to your spotlight pg etc along with why you are interested in participating and the best way to get in touch to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop me a line on the contact page.
- If I think you might be a good fit I’ll be in touch for an informal chat